Real Time Web Analytics

Saturday 17 January 2015

The Butterfly Effect.


Me, on my weekend was planning to keep myself happy. Having that in mind I kept thinking by loitering here and there as I always do.

My mom who gets annoyed by my loitering habit started to shout at me saying, don't loiter inside the house! How many times to say so? I'm fed up of telling you several times and all those stuff.
After some time, she started to relate things that happened an year ago. I, feeling astonished with her supernatural memory power, started to admire her.

By the time of my admiration, she started to relate with things that happened then and there and came out with a hour long of speech that made my ears bleed.

Feeling tired with her lecture, my mind wondered how in this planet could someone frame sentences like that within fraction of seconds and convey at lightning speeds of up to 1000 Mbps or even more.
Finally, after that pretty cool lecture, I went to my room and started thinking about "how it all started".

My Jarvis, the brain fed me up with the word 'chaos'.

Me, being a relentless thinker of things, that flashes in my mind then and there, borrowed the knowledge of Mr.Gogul a friend of a renowned politician in Tamilnadu.

And these we're the answers for the questions I asked him.

What is chaos?
The state of complete confusion.

What is meant by chaos theory?
Chaos theory is a field of study in mathematics, with applications in several disciplines including meteorology, sociology, physics, engineering, economics, biology, and philosophy.

Finding a bit harder to understand the technical explanation of the theory, I asked him for further explanation. As a result, Mr.Gogul started to give me a complete explanation about the theory. But, the eyes of mine being extremely proactive kept on watching a GIF image that he showed.

The image that he showed had two rods clubbed with each other in which one of its rod was fixed still on the top and the other was experiencing free fall. The freely moving rod of the image swayed itself indeterminately forming non-uniform scribbled patterns.

Thinking of how would some GIF with rods explain the theory, a saying that states "A picture is worth a thousand words" flashed in my mind immediately.

Because, it is a notion that a complex idea can be conveyed with just a single still image. It also aptly characterizes one of the main goals of visualization, namely making it possible to absorb large amounts of data quickly.

Then I had a slight presumption of the inner meaning of the picture in regards with the theory.
Then, I mused upon the explanation given below the figure and felt amazed. It was just the way I presumed it could be, the theory, when I tried to understand the image.

And at last I came to know what is chaos theory.

Really, I need to thank my mom for making me understand the theory with her linking-up-things talent. Because, if she wouldn't have started to scold me I wouldn't have thought of this and come to know the meaning of chaos theory today. Thus, I have experienced the chaos theory and understood it.

Who knows I guess I did understood this theory well just because I had experienced it, as the proverb states, rather than the mere explanations or the pictorial representations.

So, my first and foremost thanks is to my mom who made me think, then to the theorist of chaos theory Mr. Edward Lorenz and last but not the least, to the dearest friend of a politician of Tamilnadu - Mr.Gogul.

I hope it sounds good if i end this post with a quote that Mr.Lorenz had quoted.

"Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future."

Gif Credits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

No comments :

Post a Comment